Family Physicians come from a diverse background that focuses on medical assessment and procedure, health promotion, disease prevention, and risk reduction strategies. Family Physicians have a patient family centered focus with a holistic approach to patient care.
The Family Physician will lead the care team in achieving its vision and mission. The Family Physician role includes provision of family medicine to the population of patients seen in the family practice service and requires a thorough knowledge of primary care within the scope of the Family Physician’s as determined by the College of Physician of Alberta and British Columbia.
Areas of focus include: assessing care needs on intake in collaboration with the nursing team, triage and navigation to appropriate services, disease prevention and health promotion, chronic and complex disease care management, collaboration with the interdisciplinary team. The Family Physician collaborates with the interdisciplinary team to optimize patient engagement and care outcomes. The role also requires a high level of interpersonal skills to interact with patients and their families in a holistic and compassionate manner.
- Full delivery of primary care medicine which includes and is not limited to examining patients and take their histories, order laboratory tests, X-rays and other diagnostic procedures;
- consult with other medical practitioners to evaluate patients' health; prescribe and administer medications and treatments;
- inoculate and vaccinate patients;
- advise patients on health care;
- report births, deaths, contagious and other diseases;
- communicate health promotion/disease prevention to patients;
- Perform patient advocacy role;
- manage patient care and actively collaborate with a team of inter-professionals;
- make Internal and external referrals as appropriate, create patient plans in follow up to assessments, deliver and support the model of care and programs outlined in service offerings.
- For Full-time positions, patient roster would be approximately 500 patients.
- The goal is to have no more than 10 -12 appointments per day on average so we can deliver the highest quality medical care possible, with ample time for team collaboration and research.
- Doctorate in Medicine
- Registered with CMPA
- Candidates must be registered or eligible with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta and/or British Columbia in good standing
- Minimum of 2 years in Primary Care setting;
- Chronic disease management an asset;
- Working within a multidisciplinary and collaborative team an asset